Natural Beekeeping

Top Bar ApiRevolution has begun! Lets make some inexpensive Top Bar Hives and let them be pesticide free on their own natural comb! Che Guebee is a rebel bee fighting for the survival of the Biodiversity we all depend on and which is seriously endangered by deforestation and mono-crop agriculture! What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Friday, August 29, 2014

Whats up with your bees Che?

My bees are still being fed with sugar syrup (5:3) and it seems that they will need much more since the hind combs are still very much empty. So far I fed 30 kg of sugar (which gives more syrup of course).
Note the cell rims coated with propolis which makes the comb stronger and since the bees walk on the rims it makes sure they don't spread disease throughout the hive. It acts as a disinfectant.
There are no stores at the back of the hives. But there is some bee activity there so I'm hoping they are working the sugar syrup there.
Eventhough my Buckwheat has been blooming for a few month now I could not see any Honeybees working it until now. Im guessing that Buckwheat makes little nectar during dry summer time. 
I see bees working the perennial Rucola I planted this year. Will make sure to plant some more of this edible plant since it is also very tasty in salads. Note the mustard-yellow pollen!

No comments:

Post a Comment