Natural Beekeeping

Top Bar ApiRevolution has begun! Lets make some inexpensive Top Bar Hives and let them be pesticide free on their own natural comb! Che Guebee is a rebel bee fighting for the survival of the Biodiversity we all depend on and which is seriously endangered by deforestation and mono-crop agriculture! What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Stevns Klint - Pollinator's Paradise

My last post was very much negative about the Danish environment which indeed is destroyed by the intense mono-crop farming. Some might say "its too late for a change, the mega agri-business is too strong to fight " but even if there is only one wild flower left there is Hope :) and I'm not going to give up the fight and so should't you :) Pollinators need us to change our life styles. That is the only way we can actually help them. Yes, this is a tricky one since we live in the "Mind-world of More and More" instead of "Mind-world of Less is More".
Stevns Klint World Heritage Center - this is the place where a huge Asteroid has hit the
Earth 65 million years ago. Yes, the very one which killed all the Dinosaurs.
Today I visited the new World Heritage Center called Stevns Klint (Denmark) and I literary "felt at home" there :)
After seeing this huge wild meadow my heart felt warm and joyful. I was so happy for all the buzzing pollinators which call this place home. My bees sure will be very jealous when I tell them what I've seen here today since my lady bees mostly have huge expanses of wheat/canola/oat fields. The biodiversity here is just breathtaking! So many flowering plants it just feels like haven!

 Hawks Beard
 Eventhoguh Tansy is not rich in nectar the bees sure are interested in it
and so are Ladybirds and various flies

Huge amounts of Great Knapweed :)
There are many more plants here like Wild Marjoram, some wild onions and all sorts of clover and bushes like Hawthorn and Sloe as well as trees like Maple etc ...
Denmarks used to be like this before the World War II and I dont see a reason why it can't look the same today. There sure is a way to base our agri-culture on Biodiversity. We just need to fight for it since there are many people in power which are greedy and ignorant and there are also those who are just waiting for you and me to fight along for a better, biodiverse nature :)

My bees at home are still scavenging any flower they can find which is mostly on the roadside;
 Hawks Beard
 Hawkbit
Giant Willowherb Ebilobium hirsutum
White Clover (note light brown pollen)

2 comments:

  1. I love your comments and sharing of your experiences. I am a student of Les Crowder my mentor and author of Top Bar Beekeeping, Organic Practices for Honeybee Health and owner of Fortheloveofbees.com.
    You and he are examples for those of us trying to care for Honeybees and pollinators. No chemicals, just natural beekeeping

    ReplyDelete