Natural Beekeeping

Top Bar ApiRevolution has begun! Lets make some inexpensive Top Bar Hives and let them be pesticide free on their own natural comb! Che Guebee is a rebel bee fighting for the survival of the Biodiversity we all depend on and which is seriously endangered by deforestation and mono-crop agriculture! What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Monday, June 10, 2013

Drones Buzzing

I woke up this morning and went out of the house hearing loud buzzing from the apiary behind the cottage. I immediately suspected swarm is on the move!!! So I ran behind to see what's happening and saw loads  of Drones flying about :) They are sensing the new Virgin Queens which have very likely started to perform their mating flights :) Exciting times indeed! May they mate with success :)
Drones are much larger than Worker Bees and have huge eyes
Worker Bees working hard at this warm summer day

4 comments:

  1. Those are some mighty fine photos, Dusko. Can I ask you how you were able to get them so sharp? Are you taking HD video and them freezing a frame? Or shooting at a fast shutter speed? Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I used to work as a freelance photographer for newspappers and magasines for 5 years so I've got some practice behind me belt.

      As of late Im lazy to take my EOS out of its bag and shoot often with 3G iPhone but this kind of photography is impossible without a good equipment.

      I used a 55 mm lens very close, sharpened on the entrance of the hive and moved the camera away from it hoping to get sharp shots of incomming bees.

      The bees in this hive fly at any rate from 4-10 bees a second! Shutter speed 1000. I simply kept pressing the button taking at least 50 photos to be able to get 2 good ones :) thats the trick.

      Then I used pixlr.com to crop the shots and adjust levels and saturation. Thats it :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome landing approach shots :)

    ReplyDelete