Natural Beekeeping

Top Bar ApiRevolution has begun! Lets make some inexpensive Top Bar Hives and let them be pesticide free on their own natural comb! Che Guebee is a rebel bee fighting for the survival of the Biodiversity we all depend on and which is seriously endangered by deforestation and mono-crop agriculture! What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Sunday, May 26, 2013

New plant for my bee garden

I had a few Tomato plants too many and thought to give them to my neighbours who were very helpful in the past. They were happy about the tomato plants and we talked a bit in their garden. I noticed one very unusual flower and I asked about it. My neighbour didn't know much about it except that its a perennial plant and grows like a weed and added that I can take some if I want to :) of course I took a bunch and am hoping to create a large flowering patch with it :) I didnt knows its name and after a long search through my books I found its called Centaurea montana or Mountain Cornflower (in Swedish Blåklinta).

I was happy to read that it flowers from May to August and I've seen Bumble Bees feeding on these flowers. I understand that Honey Bees aren't generally interested in just a few flowers because Scout Bees usually are much more interested in those flowers which dominate their environment (in a 3km radius).

1 comment:

  1. Ive got these flowers in my garden and i was interested in finding out the name as bees love them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete