Natural Beekeeping

Top Bar ApiRevolution has begun! Lets make some inexpensive Top Bar Hives and let them be pesticide free on their own natural comb! Che Guebee is a rebel bee fighting for the survival of the Biodiversity we all depend on and which is seriously endangered by deforestation and mono-crop agriculture! What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Saying goodbye to my hives in Varmland

Today was the last day of my 8 month course in Self-Sufficient Homesteading. I was the one who started the Top Bar Hive project and had the responsability for the hives. I have built the hives and looked after them. We started with one Split hive and then I managed to capture a Prime Swarm so we ended up with two hives. This year was very rainy resulting in poor honey flow. The bees didnt make enough winter store honey so i fed approx 25kg of sugar in total to both hives in a form of sugar syrup (sugar 5:3 water) which was served in an inverted jar. They managed to fill approx 12 combs. The hives are winterised by placing extra planks on the North walls and by reducing the size of the cavity with a follower board and by placing rock wool on top of the top bars. I also filled the windows with raw wool. I think this will do. I wish the ladies to have a swift winter and a bountyful spring and summer next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment